JOY DOWN IN MY HEARTNovember 10, 2023
The joy of the Lord is your strength.
1. JOY IS NOT CIRCUMSTANTIAL. There is a difference between happiness and joy. The root word for happiness comes from ‘hap’ – meaning chance, fortune – the same root found in the word happens. While happiness is conditional and can rise or fall based on our circumstances or what happens to us, the joy of the Lord is different. It is based on the event of Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross. When Jesus suffered and died for the sins of humanity, He changed everything – then, now, and forever. For whoever will call on Him, whoever will trust Him, whoever will receive Him, to them He gives the power to become the children of God (John 1:12).
2. REMEMBER YOUR SALVATION. The book of Isaiah says, “Therefore you will joyously draw water from the springs of salvation” (Isaiah 12:3). When I’m hitting a hard place, when my emotions are tanking, or if there is a clash with a loved one or difficulties in my job, I remember salvation came into my life and turned everything around. I drink from that pure, delightful stream of salvation and find joy.
3. SING ALOUD. Psalm 132:16 says to “sing aloud with joy.” Recently, I was going through a tough battle, so I lifted my hands and started to sing praise to God. I didn’t do my best. It was counterintuitive. I didn’t feel like it. But I pressed through because the Bible says to sing aloud with joy. So, I did it, and it helped me!
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit. Psalm 51:12
4. ASK & RECEIVE. Jesus said this about prayer, “Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full” (John 16:24). If you need to repent, do so. In his moment of repentance, King David, who wrote most of the Psalms, asked God to restore to him the joy of His salvation (Psalm 51:12).
Pastor Jeff Perry
PRAY THIS PRAYER:
Father, I thank You that Your joy is my strength. Thank You for salvation. Thank You for forgiving me of all my sins. God, You said to ask and receive that my joy may be full. So, I ask You to restore to me the joy of Your salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit. I pray for joy to break out in my life and my relationships. I pray for supernatural peace, strength, help, guidance, wisdom, favor, and breakthrough. I come against discouragement, and I pray that joy would strengthen my heart, in Jesus’ name, amen.
1. A deliverance from the power and effects of sin
2. Liberation from ignorance or illusion
3a. Preservation from destruction or failure
3b. Deliverance from danger or difficulty
Copyright © 2023 St. Louis Family Church, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reprinted or distributed in any form without prior written permission of St. Louis Family Church. Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture references are from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995, 2020 by The Lockman Foundation. All rights reserved. “Happiness (n.).” Etymology, www.etymonline.com/word/happiness. Accessed 9 Nov. 2023. “Salvation.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/salvation. Accessed 9 Nov. 2023.